Who killed Rock and Roll on local Radio?

Bye Bye UR :(
(image from bluesasianetwork.com)
Underground Radio 105.9 is signing off today.

That's the radio station where my bro and his girlfriend work as DJs. It's also where they met and fell in love. And it is the only remaining dedicated rock station on Philippine radio. In a few hours it will be no more. Another station, another crew will take over the frequency. And they'll probably play something personally depressing, like bakya music or 24/7 bubblegum pop. A lot of people will like this new format.

But not me.


Rock has been a significant influence in my life ever since I first listened to Wolfgang's maiden album in 1994. NU 107.5 was the bastion of Philippine Rock back in the day, and they lasted until late last year.

Now the station my brother helped build from the ground up will also bite the proverbial dust.

And it sucks.

But it's reality -- reality biting.

I applaud my bro and the other people behind UR 105.9. They had the humblest of beginnings, but they've grown leaps and bounds since. It's one of the many reasons why I am immensely proud of my bro, because he chose, and still chooses, to follow his dream.

Kris "Memphis" Isaac & my bro Niki "Nikzinger" Flojo
(image from atthewomb.com)
And even signing off from radio won't stop him.

UR can still be heard on FaceBook's FaceRadio. They will still fight the good fight. They will still rock on.

Still alive and rockin' on UR FaceRadio
(image from facebook.com/URFaceradio)
But Philippine radio just lost a diamond in the rough. And the saddest part is Philippine radio won't even realize it.


“I can't believe that we would lie in our graves wondering if we had spent our living days well. I can't believe that we would lie in our graves dreaming of things that we might have been.” 
-Lie in Our Graves by the Dave Matthews Band

Previous
Next Post »
1 Comment
avatar

Another bastion for local music bites the dust. Damn.

Balas